Monday, November 9, 2009

The Christian Life?

I have always had a hard time with what the Bible tells me my life should look like and the reality of what my life actually looks like. The Bible is very clear about what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ but for some reason I still move forward the majority of the time seeking my own desires. I was reading a book the other day and the writer asked a very interesting question.

"If you were to renounce your faith, would your life really change that much?"

At first, I just breezed right through it and didn't think twice but later that night the Holy Spirit brought it back to mind and it's all I could think about. Now theologically I know it may be a tough question but I want you to think outside the box for a second. What if today right after you got done reading this blog you decided to renounce your faith and quit living for Jesus. Be honest with yourself and ask yourself the same question. Would your life really change that much?

Instinctively I think every one of us would emphatically say our lives would be totally different. But would they really? I have to admit that in any given week my life can be pretty similar to the people that tell me there is no God. Sad, but true. I get up, I go to work, after work I run or work out, I come home, cook dinner, maybe turn on the TV to catch a game or favorite show and then it’s off to bed. The very next day in some way shape or form my life repeats itself. Now granted I have some variation from time to time and the same is probably true for you as well. You might have kids, or a husband or wife, you might travel more then most or have some time consuming hobbies. You might belong to the country club or participate in sport’s leagues. We all have friends and relatives that shake things up a bit, there are holidays to prepare for and business trips to go on. All these things in and of themselves aren’t bad but here’s the point; could you look at the previous week of your life, the last seven days and make the statement “If I didn’t believe in Jesus Christ my life would be totally different.” Unfortunately if I were to renounce my faith most weeks the biggest change that would take place would be on Sunday morning when for the first time in a long time I’d sleep in.

I've been thinking a lot lately about what it means to be a Christian. I guess it's pretty simple...if the last 7 days of my life don't scream bearing fruit and loving others then maybe I need to take a step back and pray about what it means to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

John 15:16
" You did not choose Me but I chose you, and appointed you that you would go and bear fruit, and that your fruit would remain, so that whatever you ask of the Father in My name He may give to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment