Saturday, July 17, 2010

Disciples of Jesus...

I’m often troubled by the thought that if the disciples were alive today my life would look nothing like theirs.

Now I'm fully aware that my goal as a Christian is to model my life after Jesus Christ and Him alone, but the life of the disciples after Jesus ascended into Heaven has always blown me away. Here are these normal everyday people who lived normal everyday lives until they came face to face with Jesus and then everything changed. Sure it took a little while and there were bumps and bruises along the way but when Jesus ascended into Heaven and they received the power of the Holy Spirit it was a supernatural transformation. From that point forward they lived passionately, sold out, and they never looked back. These men gave everything they had including their lives for the sake of the gospel.

The book of Acts tells just a few of these stories and it often makes me wonder, even if only for a second, what the disciples would be doing if they lived in Tampa, Florida in the year 2010. Where would they spend their time? What would they do every day? Who would they reach out to? Would they be street preachers? Or would they go around from church to church and preach to people who already believe? Would they go to church 3 times a week? Would they even go to church as we know it or would they have "church" throughout the week and then spend their Sundays out in the community preaching the gospel?

The questions are endless and to be honest their answers aren't even that important. But I do know this, the disciples I read about in scripture would never spend their entire lives in one area ministering to one people who have already heard the name of Jesus. And that’s what troubles me, because that’s what I do.

Romans 10:14-15

How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher? How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment