Friday, October 2, 2009

Actions and Truth

I've spent the majority of my life TALKING about things I need to do for the Lord. I sit around with friends and family and we talk. We talk about the homeless in America or we talk about kids in foster care or we talk about the AIDS epidemic in Africa. But at the end of the day that's all it is...it's talk. There is a verse in I John chapter 3 that says:

(18) Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.

When I first read those verses it sparked flashbacks of hundreds of conversations I'd had about helping people and reaching out to those around me. Unfortunately most of them never progressed beyond a conversataion. My fear is when I'm at the end of my life I will look back and regret the fact that all I ever did was talk about helping people and talk about the power of prayer and talk about the power of the Holy Spirit. Don't get me wrong, conversations about helping those in need aren't all bad. I honestly believe the Lord uses those conversations in our lives to develop passion, but at the same time the devil uses that same passion for conversation to make us think our word is action.

Obviously a blog is nothing but word and tongue, but my prayer is that by posting my conversations the conviction of the Holy Spirit will lead to action regarding the truth in God's word. In the end I hope to be challenged to live the life I preach. At the same time I hope the few of you that actually read this will do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment